Craigmillar Library is running a free five week prose writing course for up to 12 people aimed at beginning and intermediate writers.
The course will take you through the steps of writing prose, whether it is a novel, short story or non-fiction.
The five week course finishes with a showcase event as part of Book Week Scotland and will be facilitated by Craigmillar Library’s award winning Reading Champion, Claire Askew.
The course will cover the following topics:
- Week one (19th Oct): becoming a writer, being a writer: how to beat writer’s block and overcome procrastination
- Week two (26th Oct): who’s speaking? Creating interesting characters, narrators and voices
- Week three (2nd Nov): what’s being said? When to use dialogue and when to use description
- Week four (9th Nov): where are we? Building a world for your reader
- Week five (16th Nov): what’s next? Putting everything you’ve learned into practice in your writing
- Week six (23rd Nov): we did it! Showcase event for family and friends (part of Book Week Scotland)
The course will take place every Wednesday in one of the meeting rooms off the library. As spaces are limited to 12 people, the library encourages you to book your place early to avoid disappointment. You can register here.